Styled in Ireland / A Night Out in Dublin

night out title

Hey friends, it’s time for another installment of Styled in Ireland. This time, we’re exploring what to wear for a night out in Dublin city – whether that’s dinner and drinks with a few friends, or maybe even a little dancing!

night out 1

Tips for Travelers:

One of the first things I noticed about Dublin when I moved here nearly five years ago, was that “going out” meant dressing up. Given, I grew up in China Village, which can really only be described as rural. Picturesque, but rural. You probably have to drive an hour and a half to get to a half-decent place where you could go dancing. I’ve also lived in a few cities (Los Angeles, Washington DC, Boston), but going out in Dublin seems decidedly less casual than most places in America.

The first lesson I learned was to skip the jeans, or at the very least, dress them up considerably. A lot of girls will wear dresses, but I usually opt for pants because I usually get too cold in transit. In these photos, I’m wearing a pair of skinny tuxedo pants from H&M. They have a little sheen to them, and they look great with a high pair of heels and a bright colored top.

night out 2

Highlight // Irish Designer

To highlight the trim on the collar of this fun red top, I picked a few pieces from Bow Boutique in the Powerscourt Centre. These are by the talented jeweler MoMuse. The length of that necklace was just perfect, and I love the delicate drop earrings – just enough sparkle for just about any place the night might take me!

IMG_8645 Now, for a few recommendations of where to go for a fun night out. Michael and I are really partial to 37 Dawson Street, which happens to be where these photos were taken. 37 Dawson has a restaurant as well as a lounge/dance area and a whiskey bar. Michael had his 30th birthday party there last year, and while I’ve yet to eat dinner there, the nibbles we tasted that night were really yummy.

night out 3 We’re also fans of 37 Dawson because the clientele is more twenties and thirties. Keep in mind, the legal drinking age in Ireland is 18, so if you’re older than early twenties, you’ll want to find a spot that doesn’t make you feel ancient!

If 37 Dawson gets a little crowded, Samsara next door is a little calmer. Or for dinner with a loungey vibe, you can try the Exchecquer Restaurant, which has a great cocktail menu. Fade Street Social is great for a night out, or if you happen to have a balmy, dry evening, the Marker Hotel rooftop bar is pretty special!

Missed the previous Styled in Ireland posts? Check them out here! Summer / Match Day / Afternoon Tea / Picnic / Chilly Weather / Wedding Guest / Date Night / Festive Paddy’s Day / Rainy Weather / Dublin Exploring

Top: Zara / Pants: H&M / Jewelry: MoMuse / Heels: Zara / Hair and makeup: Kristin Labanauskas / Photography: Julie Matkin, Half a Dream Away / Styling: Emily Westbrooks

This entry was posted in Styled in Ireland, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 comments on Styled in Ireland / A Night Out in Dublin

1. Canal Cook says:

That’s a lovely top! Where did you get it? I always wear dresses, pure Dublin I guess, but am trying to branch out a bit.

2. Melissa says:

Your posts have been very helpful; we will be staying in Ireland the first week of August and I am completely flummoxed about packing, especially footwear. We will be 60% in the country/40% Dublin. Do I need Wellies (which would take up half my suitcase)? Should I be bringing leather boots for Dublin, even in the summer? Or can I bring sandals and flats?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• emily says:

Hi Melissa, you’re coming during a great summer! We’ve had weather warmer than it’s been in 15 years. I’ve even worn sundresses! I would suggest perhaps waterproof hiking boots for the countryside, and flats for Dublin. It’s been fairly warm, high 60′s, low 70′s, and it looks set to stay that way. The sea side can be chillier, and nights are chillier, so pants and light cardigans are great. You’ll also want a rain jacket, but you’ll probably use it and sunglasses in the same afternoon! It’s just very changeable. Hope that helped! Feel free to send me an email if you have more questions! Enjoy your trip!

3. Jody Halsted says:

Hi Emily. I’m looking forward to meeting you in Dublin. Had to review this post for ideas on opening night at Guinness Storehouse. Might not be a bad idea to reshare it with the TBEX crowd!

• emily says:

Oh, really looking forward to meeting you too, Jody! Yes, I might see if they want to use it on their blog, great idea actually! :) I’ll see you at the Guinness Storehouse!

4. Sarah says:

Hi we are coming to dublin end of nov. What ideas can you give for what to wear on a night out. We have limit luggage allowance .

5. Katie says:

Hi there. Lovely blog.

Myself and a few friends are coming to Dublin on Wednesday for two nights. We were wondering what to wear at night. We don’t want to go too dressy as it is midweek. We are looking for a really good night out both nights – do you have any suggestions?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Katie x