Podcast Recommendations?

I’ve just discovered podcasts. I really wish I’d discovered them a few years ago when I started taking the train to work. They make the train ride go by so much more quickly! I used to read on the train, but it’s sometimes hard to tune out the chatty people who are also on their way to work. Podcasts drown out the chatting and keep me entertained for the whole hour-long commute (and yes, it takes me one hour to go about 9 miles…ugh) and I still feel like I’m learning something!

I’ve been loving Grace Bonney’s After the Jump show, but I breezed through all the old episodes in about a week! And I just discovered National Public Radio’s The Dinner Party series. It’s filled with interesting tidbits of info and hilarious interviews. The Dinner Party’s old episodes will keep me going for a while, but do you have any good recommendations to share? Are you a podcast fan too?

{image from here}

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 comments on Podcast Recommendations?

1. brittney says:

Classics: Radiolab, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, and The Moth

2. I’ve been in love with Stuff You Should Know for the past couple of years. Sometimes it gets a bit too nerdy, but there’s a ton of back episodes to download.

3. Cait says:

I love podcasts! When I don’t feel like running to music, podcasts are a great alternative (and I agree that they’re essential for a commute by public transit). My favorites:

-Pop Culture Happy Hour from NPR is a fun weekly podcast.
    -If you are looking for a higher volume pod, Fresh Air updates daily with all of the segments from the NPR show (great interviews with a huge variety of political figures, authors, actors, and musicians).
    -Another relatively frequent updater is Marc Maron’s WTF podcast (interviews with comedians and musicians).
    -The Moth has funny and moving personal readings from talented authors recorded live.
    -This American Life has weekly hour-long shows of investigative journalism and stories.

• emily says:

Oh, great recommendations, Cait! I’ve tried the Fresh Air ones but they’re always such a tease – they’re not long enough! ;) I can’t wait to try the rest though!

4. melissa lassiter says:

Hey! So i love listening to podcastes as I run and hike. You lose yourself in the story and by the time your done you have already exercised so much! lol. My two favorites are How stuff works: What you Missed in History Class, and How Stuff Works: Stuff You Should Know….you learn all kinds of cool things. Oh and if you like Celtic Music, try the Irish & Celtic Music Podcast by Marc Gunn. :) Slainte!

5. K says:

I love podcasts too, they made my London tube commute bearable!

My favourites:
    How Did This Get Made: funny people making fun of bad movies.
    Sklar Brothers: I didn’t think I would like this sports-based show, but the Sklars are really funny guys and now I’m a loyal listener.
    Comedy Film Nerds: for movie recommendations.

I also like Stuff You Should Know, Bullseye with Jesse Thorn, the Joy the Baker podcast, and Spilled Milk. ;)

It’s so much fun to discover new shows to listen to! You could also check out the Sticher iPhone app – you can subscribe to all your podcasts in one place.

6. k says:

try rte radio 1 doc on one … Full of hour long little documentaries. Start with the award winners. Real insight into Irish lives VB

7. Caiti says:

I love podcasts, and have dozens I could recommend! I adore the Joy the Baker podcast. Joy and Tracy are so fun and it’s like hanging out with girlfriends. Joy also has another podcast called “We’re About To Be Friends” with interviews with chefs/foodie people (though there aren’t very many episodes).

The Accidental Creative is full of action-oriented advice about creative work. The Freelance Radio archives is also good for creative entrepreneurs.

The Nerdist and WTF with Marc Maron have GREAT interviews (though Marc’s language and personality can be a bit abrasive at first). Also love The Moth stories, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me news quiz show, and of course This American Life.

PS – I think this is my first comment… Hi! I found your blog while I was living in Ireland for seven months earlier this year (we’re back home in Chicago now), and it’s still one of my favorite blogs :) We lived in Maynooth and visited Dublin quite a bit, and I love recognizing and reading about many of the shops and sites I visited while I was there.

• emily says:

Thanks, Caiti! Such awesome recommendations – I’m going to start with the Accidental Creative this morning. And thanks so much for commenting and for your kind words. What were your fave Dublin spots? Any I should check out? Wouldn’t want to miss any!

8. Brittany says:

oh man, I feel your pain! I’m dwindling down on After the Jump and I’m not looking forward to it! This American Life, Planet Money, The JV Club are my faves…

9. Christina says:

Hey there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a
    fair price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!

my weblog: strategic internet marketing – Christina,